What is the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship?
At the intersection of art and social change, this nine-month residential fellowship is designed to provide support and resources to emerging artists working on projects which address issues of social justice, civic engagement, and community building. Arts Lab fellows strive to hone their practices and grow as leaders in their respective fields.
Adapting the well-honed methodology of the Halcyon model, Halcyon Arts Lab fosters creativity through a supportive environment of space, access, and community. The program accepts six national and international fellows as well as two Washington, DC-based artists in each cohort.
2018/2019 fellowship dates: September 10, 2018 - June 28, 2019
Location: Halcyon Arts Lab, 1801 35th Street NW, Washington DC 20007
Who should apply?
Emerging artists who are interested in further developing a socially-engaged practice and creating lasting connections and partnerships in Washington, DC.
When is the deadline?
Applications are due by 5PM EST on April 4, 2018. No exceptions or extensions. Apply before the deadline to avoid technical difficulties.
What is included?
Halcyon Arts Lab Fellows have access to the following:
• Dedicated studio space to focus on research, learning, and creative practice
• A competitive financial scholarship to support living and material costs
• Nine months of off-site residential accommodation (eligible for non-D.C. residents only)
• A program of classes, artist talks, studio visits, civic engagement opportunities, and critiques
• Mentorship and critique from an experienced arts professional in the fellow’s field
• Opportunity to mentor DC high school students to provide guidance and inspiration in developing the next generation of socially-engaged artists
• Collaboration and networking with fellow artists, social entrepreneurs and our program partner organizations in Washington, D.C.
Commitment to Local Artists
Halcyon is committed to the vibrant community of artists living in Washington, DC. We see tangible value in supporting artists whose projects may require ongoing community relationships that last beyond the nine-month residency. For that reason, Halcyon has chosen to allocate two of the eight fellowships to DC-resident artists.
Applying to the Halcyon Arts Lab
Applications to the Halcyon Arts Lab Fellowship are evaluated on areas of artistic excellence, impact, and future potential. Halcyon accepts artists with ambitious projects at early stages of their development, where time, space, and resources can be most beneficial to create impactful work. The fellowship program is based in Washington, DC at Halcyon Arts Lab, but a fellow’s work can focus regionally, nationally, or internationally.
For questions about the application process, please contact the Halcyon Arts Lab team at email@example.com.
The Halcyon Incubator program equips early-stage entrepreneurs with the support they need to transform audacious ideas into scalable and sustainable ventures and change the world.
Please complete and submit your application before April 4, 2018 at 5PM EDT.
Fellows accepted into the program will have access to the following resources:
Residency, Business, and Living Expenses - The Halcyon Incubator was founded to ensure that all social entrepreneurs, regardless of their economic background, can succeed. The program reduces the financial barriers to starting a social venture by providing:
- Five months of free housing at the historic Halcyon House (Residency Phase)
- 13 months of free workspace at Halcyon House (Post-Residency Phase)
- A $10,000 stipend per venture for food and living expenses during the Residency Phase
Strategic Venture Resources - The Halcyon Incubator has partnered with some of the leading firms in the community to advise and directly support the fellows’ ventures. During the course of the program, fellows receive more than 1,000 hours (in aggregate) of:
- Strategy and operations consulting provided by Deloitte
- Legal and business advice through Arnold and Porter LLP
- Technical advice and hosting credits through Amazon Web Services
- One-on-one executive coaching provided in partnership with The HR Sage
World-Class Network of Mentors and Advisors - The Halcyon Incubator builds a community of support around the fellows by bringing together a robust network of seasoned entrepreneurs, experienced change-makers, and leaders across sectors.
- Each venture is paired with an experienced, field-specific mentor who provides weekly guidance and support during the Residency Phase.
- Select dinners and events engage fellows with a robust network of supporters, advisors, and potential funders.
Critical Audiences - The program helps fellows gain exposure for their ventures to support their long-term sustainability. The Halcyon Incubator provides fellows:
- Access to entrepreneurs, press, and supporters during a formal debut at Kick-Off, an event at the beginning of the Residency Phase
- Access to potential funders, investors, and partners during the Halcyon Showcase, an event at the end of the Residency Phase
- Access to key community figures and innovators at conferences and other events
If you have any questions or issues with the application, please contact the Halcyon Incubator team at firstname.lastname@example.org.